The Plan For The Great Flood
Text: Genesis 6:9-22
9 This is the account of Noah.
Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked with God. 10 Noah had three sons: Shem, Ham and Japheth.
11 Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence. 12 God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways. 13 So God said to Noah, “I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth. 14 So make yourself an ark of cypress [c] wood; make rooms in it and coat it with pitch inside and out. 15 This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high. [d] 16 Make a roof for it and finish [e] the ark to within 18 inches [f] of the top. Put a door in the side of the ark and make lower, middle and upper decks. 17 I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish. 18 But I will establish my covenant with you, and you will enter the ark—you and your sons and your wife and your sons’ wives with you. 19 You are to bring into the ark two of all living creatures, male and female, to keep them alive with you. 20 Two of every kind of bird, of every kind of animal and of every kind of creature that moves along the ground will come to you to be kept alive. 21 You are to take every kind of food that is to be eaten and store it away as food for you and for them.”
22 Noah did everything just as God commanded him.
Things To Ponder
- Who was Noah in his time? Ans. Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked with God.
- What was the earth in his time? Ans. The earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence.
- What was God’s decision to do? Ans. To put an end to all people, he is going to destroy both the people and the earth.
- What was God’s instruction first to Noah? Ans. To make an Ark.
- What was the ark should be built of? Ans. Cypress wood.
Things To Uncover
- What was God’s reason on destryoing earth and the people? Ans. Because of the evilness of man.
- How huge was the ark? Ans. 450 feet long, 75 feet wide, and 45 feet high
- How did God instructed Noah in the details of the Ark? Ans. He instructed a very detailed task for Noah. Furthermore, the details of the Ark seems to be for their security and for all other animals.
- How did Noah obeyed God? Ans. Noah did everything God instructed.
- All sins have its penalty. And we can also see that even though it’s painful for God to destroy the earth and its inhabitants, he still expressed his love to humanity and to earth by sparing Noah and his family along with all other pairs of animals through the Ark.
- With God’s plan, all things are solid and all things are reliable. His detailed instruction just proves that when God tells us to do something for him, his plans are always solid and cannot be destroyed by anything. Not even by the great storm and flood.
- Noah exemplified how to obey God in details. He obeyed God up to the last and smallest detail of his command, even to the type of wood and measurements.